Thursday, December 06, 2012

Wool Soaker DIY

A long time ago, my mom told me the amazing benefits of wool diaper covers, often called "soakers". They are naturally odor resistant, breathable, and antibacterial. They are also very comfortable and easy to care for, as you don't need to wash the cover after each use unless soiled.

They sound awesome, but they are incredibly pricey. I haven't found a good one yet for less than $30! So I went to the thrift store and found three wool sweaters for a total of $9. I washed and dried them, so they became "felted". Then I found an absolutely wonderful tutorial on Pinterest (of course!) and went to work. In the end, I was able to get TWO soakers out of each sweater. That comes down to $1.50 each! And each one only took me about 15 minutes to sew. Unreal!

The green soakers used for this tutorial were the softest, finest wool out of the three sweaters I found.  The other sweaters were much more thick and made sewing a little tricky. So when you're looking for sweaters to use, try to find wool that isn't already very bulky!

 First I cut out the pattern pieces and fabric.






I'm just making sure I have all the pieces. Here are the leg bands, waist bands, and cover. Good to continue.





 The kids stayed busy painting and eating while I sewed.




 Little Huck!






 My sewing machine already had green thread! Love when that happens!







Step one: Sew sides together. I have a regular sewing machine, so I used a zig-zag stitch.
Serging would be great though. :)







 Step Two: For the leg bands and waist bands, I folded them length-wise and sewed the sides together.




Step Three: I took the waistband that was sewn on the side (top band) and folded it in half to look like the bottom band.





 Step four: I took the folded waistband, turned it upside-down, and placed it inside the cover. It was time to sew the waistband to the cover.






Step five: There should be THREE raw edges at the top of the cover. Sew them all together. Again, I used a tight zig-zag stitch.





Step six: Do the same for the leg bands. Fold them in half, place them inside the cover, and sew all three pieces of fabric together (two from the folded legband to the one piece of fabric from the cover). At the end, your cover will look like this. Time to flip it right side out...





You're all done!







Little Huck looks great showing off his new soaker!






Yeah, he's a love...what can I say?

No comments: