Saturday, August 04, 2012

How Maggs Makes Money

It has become apparent in the recent months that people become very territorial about things that aren't even theirs to being with. That piece of road you've left before you could even form the thought of, "How dare you cut it front of me?" That idea on Pinterest that you pinned first. That bar you've frequented for years. Outsiders, watch out. It's YOUR bar.

I admit, I can be selfish about certain things too.

But learning to let go and not hold on with such control is very liberating.

So I want to set an example and share my money-making "secrets" with all the stay-at-home moms who come to this blog. I don't OWN any of these ideas, so I am happy to share them. By the way, they are not secrets at all.

1) Blogging
I earn income by blogging for adverters through Blogsvertise.com. My highest earning months were about $160, but I've had months with as little as $10. It all depends on how many tasks are available, and how dedicated you are at blogging. Money is PayPal deposited 30 days after the post has been written/approved. It's hard to wait for that first payment, but then if you keep receiving and accepting tasks (and grab bag offers), you get on a roll. I am not putting much energy into blogging at the moment though, so business is slow.

2) Etsy
Occasionally I'll find myself in a creative streak and spend hours at my sewing machine. After that, I'll list several handmade items on my Etsy shop. I make approximately 1-2 sales a month. After shipping, sellers fees, and whatnot, I probably make about $20 a month there. It's unpredictable, but I enjoy it.

3) Swagbucks
The way I earn/redeem my swagbucks doesn't directly put cash in my bank account, but I do get Amazon gift cards which puts more wiggle room in our budget. Since starting Swagbucks in September of '11, I've earned $285 in Amazon gift cards. I use them for gifts, our expensive natural toothpaste, and baby items. Right now I'm saving up for Christmas. 

4) Garage Sales and Craigslist
This has sometimes been more work and stress than is worth the profit, but I have made a considerable amount over the past few years selling what we don't need. I often use this money to treat our family to breakfast at a local diner, and then we deposit the rest into our kids' college funds. Although $20 here or there isn't enough to pay for even a week at college, I'm hoping it will make a difference down the road.

5) Tutoring
I used to tutor English and writing at our community college, and I still enjoy doing it as much as I did back then. The demand for home tutors is very high right now, so if you have a knack and a love for a specific subject, I strongly encourage you to share your talents with those who need it. I will openly admit I do this free of charge for friends, I would suggest making business cards and putting yourself out there.
 

6) Thirty-One
Back in April I started as an Independent Consultant for Thirty-One Gifts. I made a point not to mention anything on my blog because I just wanted to see where it would lead. After a few months of parties, sales, phone calls, and orders, I can honestly say it has been awesome. Money aside, I truly enjoy this work. Though I was nervous my first couple nights, I now feel comfortable and excited before my parties. I try to dedicate one full hour every day to my work, and that's it. So far my highest monthly earning has been $380. Since it is the most efficient and rewarding "job" I've listed, I've decided to focus all my efforts into this business. I feel like I was led to Thirty-One because it was meant to be. I can't wait until I can help someone make that step in her life too.

So that's all I've got for you today. If you have any questions about ANY of the six options above, I'll gladly share more information.  I feel that as stay-at-home moms, we need to stick together and help each other out. That's what I want to do here. I hope everyone has a great weekend and is enjoying the Olympics! (Yeah, Missy Franklin!)



2 comments:

Megan said...

Maggie, you are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing! I totally am going to look into swagbucks, possibly blogging, and am curious about thirty one....its all the craze! I keep hearing about it!

Britney Gulbrandsen said...

Thanks for sharing! I used to use swagbucks, but then I got a a new computer and never reinstalled it. I'm doing so NOW! Also looking up blogsvertise! Thanks!