Thursday, April 26, 2012

Viewpoint

Hubby and I were discussing the importance of perspective last night. About how so much of life depends on your viewpoint - how actually everything is based on this. It's very easy to get stuck in our ways and not want to consider someone else's point of view, because it's against yours. And because it's against yours, it's wrong. And why would you even waste your time considering someone else's side when ours is the right one?

First of all, why wouldn't you want to hear another side? If your side is, in fact, so right, then you would only be enforcing your original belief by hearing their obviously erroneous thoughts.

Secondly, I've said this before, but I'll say it again: understanding doesn't have to equate agreement. I don't have to agree why someone totally loves horror movies. But I could at least hear their side so I could understand it.

Thirdly, how will you ever expect people to be "open-minded" enough to listen to you, if you never listen to them? I think people fear being "open-minded" because it makes them wishy-washy. I disagree. Being open-minded means you are secure enough in your own beliefs to respect others and listen to them. It means understanding that there are different ideas out there. It doesn't mean you have to agree with them. You can stick to your guns and believe you're right. But hey, you might learn a thing or two while you're at it.

I google image searched "vantage point" to get a creative picture in here. First I got this. 

   Heaven help us. But then I found this.

Much better. :)

2 comments:

Jeremy Bates said...

I believe I am a good listener and I enjoy a gentlemanly argument or discussion. Sadly, may people fly off the handle too quick. Like I always say, communication begins with listening to others.

loverofwords said...

So hard to talk to people, especially in this political year. I blame TV and the horrible example of the yelling commentators, and more. This is a huge topic. We are not a nation of listeners anymore.