Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I is for Independent Voter

I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately...they're actually the reason I considered closing my blog a few weeks ago. I was shaken to the core, scared, paranoid, and I lost trust in 90% of what I had originally believed. But I kept wanting to learn more. I wondered, What else is there to know? My concerned hubby finally told me, "You need to start watching happy things." I responded, "No, you need to start watching these things." And to his credit, he sat down with me and watched too. It would be an understatement to say he understands my mindset now.

Over the past couple years, the whole Left/Right political game has become increasingly more irritating to me. It seemed so hard to believe. Was one side really so horrible while the other side was really so wonderful? I highly doubted it.

Now I am realizing that neither side is supportable...and they are intensely FAR from great. So very much, that I can't consider affiliating myself with either. Now that I know certain things, I can't unknow them. I wouldn't say either side is necessarily evil, but there is definitely evil under the surface.

That is why I consider myself an Independent. The month of March was a huge turning point for me in my adult life. I'm no longer as scared, but I am aware. I find the Republican/Democrat bickering completely immature and naive. I am beginning to roll my eyes at political postings on social media that play into the left/right lie. "The GOP does this and they don't care about poor people or women." "Obama does this and that and doesn't keep his promises and continues the wars." "Obama is awesome and I stand by my president because he creates JOBS." "Romney is the lesser of two evils, let's rally behind him."

Wtf?

There is so much more going on than the Yahoo! headlines tell us. There is so much more at stake in our country than whether or not Romney uses the same big words that Obama has used many times before. For pete's sakes. Is that really what our issues are? Vocabulary and setting one class against the other?

Wherever people have gone for their source of information, whether it be CNN, Fox News, NPR, or the Huffington Post, challenge yourself for three seconds to look elsewhere and dig deeper than what's being dropped in your lap. Stop believing everyone you hear just because they have a (D) or an (R) after their name.

And just for the record, Steven Colbert would pick Ron Paul. Juuuust saying.




5 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

It frustrates me when anyone is unwilling to think for themselves. Sometimes I get really scared at the direction in which Americans are taking themselves...but then I remember what a very holy priest once told me: You shouldn't be worrying about anything or complaining about anything unless you are fasting and praying about it, too. As i do tend to fret, it was important for me to remember that God, and not stupid politicians, is ultimately in charge.

Maggie said...

@Faith, thanks for such a good reminder. You're so right! Fasting and praying have been added to the list. :D

Sarann said...

I agree, I have never been registered with a party, always independent. I consider myself a centrist, I believe that the more you take one side or the other, the further from the truth you get which lies in the middle. I think politicians need to come to the middle to work on compromised solutions, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Sheila said...

I agree with you totally. I'd love to hear what documentaries you've been watching, though. I actually enjoy stuff like that, because I believe knowledge is power and would rather know the whole truth, however "inconvenient."

Natalie said...

Completely agree!!!!!