Friday, February 03, 2012

Some Yummy Foods

Food and me get along very well. We are best buds. Soul mates. Awesomesauceness. So in this little post, I want to share three of my favorite recipes with my Very Advanced Readers.

Squash Soup
photo credit to simplyrecipes.com

I give full credit to my older brother for this one. He made it for me the day after Little Huck was born, and I instantly fell in love with this warm, seasonal, aromatic dish. He told me what was in it, so here is the recipe I use whenever I try to replicate it. This makes about 4-6 servings. Usually I double the recipe to last us a few days.

Ingredients
1 onion diced
1/2 stick butter (I'm a butter lover)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk (heavy cream is awesome too)
A few Tbs brown sugar
Spices to taste: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg.

Sautee onion in butter. Add in squash and cup of broth. Add a few tsp of spices. Cover and lower heat. Cook for about an hour. When squash is soft, add milk. Scoop half of contents into a blender. Repeat with the second half. Add brown sugar and more spices if you'd like (I always do, but I'm a huge pumpkin pie girl). Then let it cook on low for a few minutes before serving.

Seriously...the best soup in the world!


closetchef.ca
No Knead Bread

I have to thank my sister for finding this recipe on Pinterest.
It is the most delicious, easy bread I have ever made or eaten. One thing you have to know ahead of time:

1. You will need a lot of time to make this!

I'd start the dough the night before if you want it for dinner the next day. Total rise time is between 16 - 20 hours. But you barely need to do anything. And my bread looked just as amazing as this picture. So delicious. Perfect to go with your squash soup!


No Bake Energy Bites

Another amazing idea found on Pinterest. Instead of copying the recipe, I'll send you right to the source: Smashed Peas and Carrots. Little Olive and I make these about twice a week. I have yet to use the flax seed, but they taste amazing even without it. (Hmm...we love almonds over here. I'm going to try them this week with sliced almonds.) The only "bad" thing in here are the chocolate chips, so I never feel guilty about snacking on them or letting L.O. eat several throughout the day. They are super easy and so yum.

Have a favorite, easy recipe? Share away in the comments below!

4 comments:

Word Nerd said...

I wasn't hungry when I got here two minutes ago, but I am now. :O)

MB said...

I have got to try that no knead bread and especially those energy bites :)

marie said...

this all makes a great meal-soup and bread and then dessert ; ) love it

Karen @ Fun 4 Kids in Buffalo said...

We love butternut sqaush soup - even the kids will eat it. Definitely need to try the no bake energy bites...I've been wanting to for awhile!