Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cell Phones - To Use Excessively Or Not

"Omg, you never answer your phoooone."

Well, guess why? Because there are reasonable speculations that cell phones may cause cancer. With everything going wireless and small amounts of radiation flowing from one device to another, we're once again put in a tight spot regarding technology. And because cell phones have only been around for a couple decades, there hasn't been a fair amount of time to conduct any sound studies. But if there's a risk, we at least know about it now and can put some habits into practice. Here are some tips I've collected from my browsing around on this topic, and I will admit I do all of them:

1. Don't carry your cell phone on your person at all times. Keep it out of your pockets and instead keep it a reasonable distance away. For girls this is easy; we have our purses. For guys, I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe buy yourself a manpurse.

2. If you use your cell phone as your alarm in the morning, put it on airplane mode for the nighttime. People also believe the small amounts of radiation can interrupt your sleep.

3. Text when possible instead of calling.

4. If you talk on the phone, try to put it on speaker, so it's not right up against your brain. (But don't forget about cell phone etiquette when doing so! Keep private conversations private.)

5. Try to make longer conversations on a land line.

6. Keep exposure around children to a minimum.

As always, feel free to share any further suggestions or thoughts on this matter!


2 comments:

Natalie said...

I agree - cell phone radiation freaks me out... that's one reason I don't have a smart phone yet! I don't want to be tempted to have it around all the time. As it is, my cell has been out of commission for awhile now and I keep putting off getting my free upgrade because I can't decide what kind of phone I want... ;) but preferably one that can serve purposes without being an EMF disaster. ;)

ElaineLK said...

You're preaching to the choir here--I am pretty much a non-cell-phone person. I do have one (a very simple TracPhone that I still don't know that much about how to use), which I had to get when my mother was still living independently, but I never use it now. I keep it in my purse just in case I should need it when I'm out. It just bugs me to see so many people in public with their little screens or talking into thin air with their hands up to their ears. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.