Thursday, February 23, 2012
Cell Phones - To Use Excessively Or Not
Well, guess why? Because there are reasonable speculations that cell phones may cause cancer. With everything going wireless and small amounts of radiation flowing from one device to another, we're once again put in a tight spot regarding technology. And because cell phones have only been around for a couple decades, there hasn't been a fair amount of time to conduct any sound studies. But if there's a risk, we at least know about it now and can put some habits into practice. Here are some tips I've collected from my browsing around on this topic, and I will admit I do all of them:
1. Don't carry your cell phone on your person at all times. Keep it out of your pockets and instead keep it a reasonable distance away. For girls this is easy; we have our purses. For guys, I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe buy yourself a manpurse.
2. If you use your cell phone as your alarm in the morning, put it on airplane mode for the nighttime. People also believe the small amounts of radiation can interrupt your sleep.
3. Text when possible instead of calling.
4. If you talk on the phone, try to put it on speaker, so it's not right up against your brain. (But don't forget about cell phone etiquette when doing so! Keep private conversations private.)
5. Try to make longer conversations on a land line.
6. Keep exposure around children to a minimum.
As always, feel free to share any further suggestions or thoughts on this matter!