Monday, January 09, 2012

Looking back on my history

It's early January - time for a New Year's Resolution! What should it be: exercising more? Eating right? Spending more quality time with the hubby? Writing in my journal every day? Washing the dishes immediately after they're used?

Those have all been resolutions at one point in my life or another. One year I had 14 resolutions. Not only did I forget 10 of them before January ended, but I set myself up for immediate failure. In all seriousness, how can one person accomplish 14 resolutions? One of them was to work hard in school so that I could someday go to college and study interesting majors. The other that resurfaced many years in a row was to stretch every day or practice yoga so that I could do a split. (Oh, how funny looking back...)

Most of my past resolutions have been influenced by my own history. But I have to admit, I'm in a new chapter of my life, with very different responsibilities and goals. I'm not going to look back and try to re-make the past. I didn't read a lot last year? Well, I'm not going to make myself read 3 books a month. I forgot to write handwritten letters to all my friends last year? Well, I'm not going to cramp my hand trying to do so this year.

Instead, I'm going to (try to) look at the present, and behave in a way that positively affects the future, specifically the future of my children and my marriage. History is great because you can learn from it, but I can't let it trip me up. Here's to 2012 moving forward! :)

15 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Wise words!

Jo said...

By George, I think you've got it!
Moving forward positively is deff the way to go, IMHO.
Love it.

Susan Kane said...

It is always good to move forward, unless you trip and fall on your face, and break something. I have done that.

Jessica@MakingHomeSweeter said...

That's a great attitude to have. The best thing we can do in the New Year is LEARN from what we did in the past year and move on striving to be the best we can be without punishing ourselves. Lovely post!

Laura Rogers said...

Well said. We have to keep it real in the new year.

November Rain - k~ said...

Sounds like you have a positively forward motion in mind... BRAVA!

ElaineLK said...

Nicely said, Maggie. Sometimes you're better off not trying so hard to "improve" yourself but just living as well as you can.

i.ikeda said...

Oh boy, some of my resolutions as I was growing up were so... well, you can imagine. But here's to looking forward just as you say. It's a new year and there are new challenges to face, and new joys to appreciate. Happy new year to you and your family.

Anna said...

Cheers to a new year and moving forward!

beachlover said...

Absolutely! What matters is today! Our past is in the past.

Word Nerd said...

Sounds good!

LarryCminiv said...

History is great because you can learn from it, but I can't let it trip me up.

We are the sum total of our past, of course but the TODAY is more important and we have to live for today, indeed the minute.

Well done

danneromero said...

moving forward is your best options... aside from living in the moment.

Joyce Lansky said...

I think one resolution is plenty. It's hard to keep track of fourteen. Plus, no one has that many things that need immediate fixing. We have a symbol that goes with our school learning keys, the hand under the chin. It means, "This is it!" Carpe diem!

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

Mojo Writin' said...

I think you have the right idea. Surely it's better, rather than making resolutions we all have failed at I'm sure, to say 'Ok, this year I'm going to do something useful every day'? This is what I have done and, so far, I've managed it, because there is no real pressure, no hovering expectation. The useful thing can be anything from sewing on a long overdue button to looking up something on the net, as long as I do something. (The dust on the door-tops is looking decidedly scared... I think it knows I'm coming for it *wink*)