Thursday, January 05, 2012

Development Report

Sometimes I consider changing the title of my blog to "Ways To Save Money" or something completely lame-o like that, considering the amount of posts I write related to that topic. What can I say, it's a big part of our lives right now. "You've gotta do with what you got," says the owl on So Dear To My Heart. I'm always excited when we find a good deal.

This is part of my "job" right now. To me, this is my work. Right now, our focus is making a budget.

My family is big into Dave Ramsey, and so we listened to his audio book. First of all, it was awesome. He's a little harsh, a little arrogant, and a little annoying at times. BUT, he's dead-on. It was really nice to know we were off to a good start. We don't use credit cards, buy new items, and we live within our means. But we've never kept a budget. Pretty much, we just paid our bills when they came, and what was left over was used for food/gas/gifts. However, now we need one in order to save for future expenses.

Yesterday, I put out a facebook status asking my friends what they use for budgeting, or for any tips on how they do it. I got a lot of good answers:

Quickbooks (which I think is more for small businesses, but seemed great)
Quicken (I liked the looks of it, but we are looking for something we don't have to pay for)
The good, old notebook method
A dry-erase board to track your spending
Mint.com

So last night I set up an account with Mint.com, because it's free, and I needed to see it for myself. I'm pretty excited about it. It seems overwhelming at first, and I'm hoping it will meet my needs of saving, etc. But that's what I'm off to do now that the kiddos are sleeping. If we stick with Mint.com, I'll write about it soon to let you know how we like it.

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

MB said...

Happy Thursday to you too! Funny you mentioned Quickbooks because I'm pretty sure that's what my mom uses when she does accounting for people.
Best of Luck with the budgeting and I look forward to seeing how it goes for you :)

Jessica said...

Cool! Never heard of that site. Budgeting is definitely overwhelming. I did the old notebook method with a printout I found on Martha Stewart's website. I couldn't believe how much we were spending on random items here and there. And my playdate trips were actually costing us a fortune in gas. Sort of depressing to make up your budget cause you see how much money you're wasting and how much you need, but feels good at the same time cause then you've faced it head on and can be more disciplined with your money.