Sunday, December 25, 2011

It's the holiday season

I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas! (And if you don't celebrate Christmas, I'll happily accept your reply of whatever holiday you recognize. Except Festivus.) It's a cozy afternoon here, and while the babes are a-nap in their beds, I shall write and fill all your heads...with...talk of Halloween Costumes! Why am I talking about Halloween costumes? Well, because I never did end up showing you the one Little Huck and I wore trick-or-treating. (Better late than never, right?) Well, here it is.

Spider Web and Spider: Mommy and Baby Costume
I have to admit, I totally messed up on this gig. As you can see from the picture, I am the spider web. I did this by cutting out a large circle of black felt, and painted on a pretty web with glitter paint. Then, I cut a hole for my head to fit through. My first mistake. The hole is entirely too large, and the web poncho kept slipping off my shoulder.
Tip: make head hole small at first. It can always be enlarged if needed.

Then, I made a spider costume for the baby. I used gray flannel, and traced a newborn sized outfit onto the fabric, cut, and sewed it up. The baby's arms and legs would count as 4 out of 8 "legs." I then cut, sewed, stuffed, and attached 4 extra legs to make a total of 8. It looked great. But I made it while I was still pregnant; therefore, I had no idea how old or how big the child would be at Halloween.

Tip: do not assume. We all know what happens.

Because...when it came time for trick-or-treating, the outfit was much too small. As you can see from the picture, it didn't fit his torso, so I folded it down and had his real arms be the final 2 of the 8 "legs."

However, if done right, this idea could make a perfect adult Halloween costume, as well as a beautiful baby/kids Halloween costume. You just have to do it right!

Alright, I'm off to celebrate Christmas! Ho ho ho!

No comments: