Monday, December 05, 2011

DIY Gifts

As Christmas approaches, here are some do-it-yourself ideas for gifts!

1. For the young child in your life: Close Your Clothes. You could make this book by going to a local thrift store and purchasing some inexpensive clothes. Cut them up, sew them onto a page, and sew each page together. I absolutely love this idea. In fact, if I didn't already have Little Olive's gifts all set, I would be doing this right now. I am going to make it for someone though. Who will be the lucky toddler?

2. For the teen: Since styles and history repeat itself, we have it pretty easy right now. 70s and 80s used to make us cringe, ("Mom, you wore that??") but now the same sweaters hang in the stores for us to purchase at full price. How about instead, give a unique gift of vintage jewelry without breaking the bank. Go to the thrift store, buy a couple pieces of old jewelry, and reassemble them into a new necklace. You'd be amazed at the treasures hidden inside those glass cabinets.               

3. For the sweet tooth: Ice Cream Sundae Box. You could pick any theme, really, to make a Gift Box. But this one in particular is beyond creative. If someone handed this to me on Christmas morning, I would be thrilled. Some other ideas could be a wine box, a movie box, craft supplies, -- you name it. (Apparently I can only name three. It's late, alright?)

Are there any DIY gift ideas you'd like to share?      

2 comments:

MB said...

I'm knitting hats for pretty much everyone in my family, and the great thing is I can knit 1 in under 24 hours, so it won't take very long! :D I'm using really nice, super soft, Baby Alpaca yarn as well.

Handmade gifts really are always fun.

Ideas for little girls - sew some clothes for a favorite doll. and if you're extra ambitious, try matching pj pants for her and a special stuffed animal or doll :D I've done that for my little sister, and she LOVED it.

Mel said...

This is adroable!!