Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A bit torn

A few weeks ago, I had a stressful day. After the babies had fallen asleep I tackled the Christmas cards. Address book, labels, photos, etc. surrounded me in an organized semi-circle on the couch. In close proximity was a full glass of wine. (Oh yes, it had been one of those days.) The sight made my older sister laugh. She said it reminded her of a part in Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - when apparently Bridget wrote and mailed Christmas cards while being, simply put, smashed.

The next day, Audrey brought the book to me and had bookmarked the pages describing the incident. But I have a thing about reading the ending of a book. Despite the temptation, it ruins everything. So I started from the very beginning.

Wow, the writer is beyond talented and funny. I found myself grinning during parts, and feeling sheepish at others, thinking, Yes! That's so true. That's real life. I equated characters in the book to real life friends - which is both good and bad depending on the character. The book grabbed me from the very beginning; this is shocking seeing as I haven't read a book in way too long. Reading actually bores me lately.

But if you're thinking I'm recommending such a book to all the young women out there, please be advised I am not. The morality level of the book was at a 2 (out of 10). The language (while funny 99% of the time) was also not upstanding in any way. The lifestyles of the characters are none to be followed. I really wish that such an amazing, witty, dead-on author could write a book I could brag about and buy for all my friends. I love stories with romance, humor, and smarts. But I could do without the f-bombs and sleeping around. Call me prude? Oh, go right ahead. But I don't believe I am. Prude would be turning my nose up to the "Princess Diaries" because -- heaven forbid!!-- they kiss. I think having boundaries or being able to recognize iffy material is not being prude. It is being prudent - a trait that seems to be flung out the window in this day and age.

Anyways. If you have a good book to recommend, please do so! I'm on a roll after reading the whole Bridget Jones in three days. Remember, I like a good love story, humor, smart writing, and sure, some adventure too. Along the same lines of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.        

1 comment:

BritB said...

I just finished the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy in 4 days. It is so entertaining and is composed of a lot of adventure, suspense, romance and good vs. evil. I could not put it down. I bought it on amazon and it cost less than $6 with free shipping because I am doing a free trial for Amazon Prime. Another book that I REALLY enjoy is Evening Class by Maeve Binchy. I have read it a couple of times. :)