Thursday, November 03, 2011

Emergency Preparedness

My husband listens to NPR during his workday, which means he's always coming home starting conversations about the cool things he has learned that day. Just recently he heard a program about how to handle an emergency situation. Then he found a book at the library about survival out in the wilderness. (Ironic, in my mind, considering he's been playing Fallout 3, and actually gets excited when he sees a bobby pin lying around the house.) 

Then I came upon a website, Your Own Home Store, that focuses primary on emergency preparedness and self-reliance. I was blown away. I stayed on their site for a really long time, and I learned so much. Usually I skim new websites and look for what interests me. Not this one. The entire site impressed me, as well as shook my nerves a little. If you can, check out their shelf reliance coupon to get started.

wallpaperstock.net
It made me realize that we - as in my own family - are not prepared for an emergency situation. Heck, we don't even have candles and matches set aside for when we lose power someday. It opened my eyes to the fact that we need to have some sort of plan. What will we do if we have to evacuate? If our cell phones stop working? If we lose power? If there's a fire, a flood, a storm? Do we have a decent amount of canned goods or ready-to-eat foods that don't require refrigeration? Do I have a packed bag - just in case? Nobody likes to think about these things, but emergencies can happen! Thanks to this website, formulating a plan for this kind of situation is high on my list.

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a great reminder of being prepared! My husband is an Eagle Scout so that phrase is engrained into his very being. He took it a step further, though, and has been building a business from the ground up that teaches community and wilderness first aid. We don't focus on survival but we definitely cover preparedness, maguyvering (when you don't have the exact tools you need) and leadership skills to gain and keep control over emergencies whether by yourself or with a group.

We have a store attached to the business so luckily first aid supplies are plentiful in our house but our "Jump Bag" could use some updating. Thanks for the reminder!