Friday, November 18, 2011

Doing it all over again

I remember the days when my niece would visit while I was pregnant the first time around. That spunky and curious toddler was showing me how dangerous my house had suddenly become! I was constantly rearranging things every time she came over. But it prepped me for the arrival of Little Olive. I thought I was all set. But babyproofing is an ongoing task. As the child grows and changes, so do the needs of the home. You realize the garbage cans can no longer stay uncovered, or the outlet can no longer be exposed. The stairs absolutely have to be blocked off, and the dog food cannot stay on the ground.

When visiting my parents' home, Little Olive used to collect airsoft pellets in her mouth. (What is airsoft? You'd have to ask my little brother...the same one who always leaves the little yellow pellets lying around. -- I'm looking at you, Tony.) We use to have to dig them out of her little mouth constantly. But that was when she was young and crawling. Now, at two years old and very advanced, she'd much rather collect them in her hands. She does this with stones and marbles too. From dangerous to acceptable.

Now with Little Huck in the picture, we're going to start all over again with the houseproofing. Our lives will be a constant revolving door. In and out, up and down, open close, over and over. I'm so glad we're going through everything again! How boring it would have been if we never got to experience another, new little life again!

4 comments:

MB said...

Oh yes, airsoft pellets. I hate how they get everywhere, I try to get my brother to buy the biodegradable ones, but he hasn't yet! They really do make a mess :P

Maggie said...

They do get everywhere!!! Biodegradable ones? Wow, I gotta tell him about those...

LifeAfterPiggieSmalls said...

I am in the process of baby-proofing my home! My 9 month old is starting to get into EVERYTHING. They definitely keep you on your toes!

Amanda said...

So glad Lena helped prepare you! ;) anyone have ideas for keeping toddlers off of tables..... Oh it never ends. But you're right, it'd be boring if it was all over!