Saturday, October 22, 2011

Make Your Own Toys

lilla-a-design.blogspot.com
Looking for a quick and easy, creative toy for your child? Consider making a fine motor skills board. You can do this by finding a flat piece of plywood and attaching various mechanisms: hooks, cabinet hinges, locks, strings, magnets, screws, switches, or anything else. Children love playing with real, adult objects, and this is safe way for them to do just that and enhance their cognitive development as well. Problem-solving skills and creative thinking are sparked during such activities, and the children will be having so much fun they won't even realize they're learning at the same time!

Another awesome idea I've often seen while browsing blogs and Pinterest is taking a tv stand or end table and converting it into a play kichen! This is definitely something I want to do for Little Olive when she gets a little older. It would require some time and brainstorming from my husband and I, but the end result would be so worth it.

martawrites.com/2010/07/how-to-build-kitchen-play-set.html
Huge tv stands, like the one below, are at almost every thrift store these days. How awesome that someone found a way to repurpose out-dated pieces of furniture? For about $10 and a little work, you could have a solid wood kitchen for the kids. Compare this to paying over $100 for a plastic one at the store. Granted, they are so cute and fun. But if you don't have the funds, there are other ways to get your hands on a great toy!
Tv stand turned kitchen.

This one to the right is probably the best I've seen. There are great details and realistic sections. The refrigerator could be turned into shelves or cabinets if necessary, giving an organized space for all the dishes and cups. I love the window and hooks for the utensils. As a young girl, I would be in heaven with something like this in my living room!

**I am unable to find the original source of the image, so please let me know if you do. I would love to link this to directions or a tutorial if there is one!

If you have any ideas or have done something like this, share away!

1 comment:

Faith E. Hough said...

Wow, was just scrolling through and found this post. These are amazing! We have a nice wooden play kitchen, but it's very small, with no refrigerator--which can cause a storage issue. Anyway, I think I know what we'll be making the girls for Christmas this year...