Friday, September 23, 2011

That Wonderful Pumpkin Season

tasteofhome.com
I'm not much of a baker; I'll admit it. There is only about a three month stretch out of the year where I will bake. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cooking, but baking is a little out of my league. You mix everything together, throw it in the oven, and wait a long 25 minutes to see if it'll even turn out! It's a little scary to me.

But year after year, the wonderful fall foods and scents sucker me into the kitchen to test out my Suzie Homemakery Skills. It begins around this time in September, just around autumn, when freshly picked apples and cider fill the stores. Who can resist an apple pie? I'm still perfecting the crust, folks. Bear with me. My zeal in the kitchen continues through Thanksgiving where I will make two pumpkin pies. There is honestly nothing - nothing - I love more (in regards to foods) than a perfect piece of pumpkin pie with homemade whip cream on top. For Christmas, I'll do some baking of cookies and fun treats. Come January, though, the oven shuts off. Nothing against that month, but it's just how it turns out.


tasteofhome.com
Tonight was the kick-off. My sister and I found some easy recipes to follow, and we had fun bustling about in our tiny kitchen making a few dishes. We started off with this: pumpkin dip with ginger snap cookies. Spices, cream cheese, and pumpkin were all blended together while Audrey tackled the homemade cookies. Then we moved on to pumpkin muffins (see picture above) with a similar frosting.

The only thing bad about all this is that we can't eat anything until tomorrow. We made everything for a gathering with friends. It will be a good night, for sure...I will be standing by the food table, almost 39 weeks pregnant, eating all these pumpkin treats of goodness. :)

1 comment:

MB said...

OMG! I am so hungry for a delicious pumpkin muffin now! haha I wish I could reach out and grab 5 through my computer screen!!! they look SOOOO GOOD!