Thursday, September 29, 2011

Natural Toothpaste

For Christmas, my family started doing "Secret Santas" where we pick one name and
give that person a special, meaningful gift. I have a lot of brothers and sisters, and so as we grow up, get married, and have families of our own, funds are tight around this wonderful holiday. Last Christmas, my sister treated me to some beautiful, natural soap and shampoo. Not only does it smell great like almonds, but it also has lasted me up until this month!

Her introduction and awareness of this area really opened my eyes. I always see natural products in the store, but actually using one started a little revolutionary activism in my home. When I can, I buy all-natural products. Though they're expensive, I try to prioritize for Little Olive, especially with what she needs for bathtime.

One area of natural products we are experimenting with right now is toothpaste. My husband recently became aware of the harmful effects of flouride in our water and in our toothpastes. Even "natural" toothpastes contain dangerous ingredients that shouldn't be swished around our mouths and possibly ingested. I searched a few websites and gathered information from friends; I decided to make our own toothpaste. Well, it's technically tooth powder.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup of arrowroot (some recipes call for French clay, but my Mom said arrowroot is great for sensitive gums and we've been happy with the results)
A few drops of cooking extract or essential oil - we use cinnamon

Combine and mix all ingredients in a container.
Wet your toothbrush, dip it into the powder, and brush as usual.

Putting too much baking soda on your brush can be abrasive to your teeth, so you only need a little.

My husband and I have found that equal parts of baking soda and arrowroot are still pretty bitter for our taste. Next batch, I'll probably use 1/4 cup of baking soda.

If you have other ideas or recipes, definitely pass them along! We're just starting out on this quest and welcome new ideas from all around the kingdom - er, world.

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

That brings back some memories. Toothpaste was not necessarily available at all times in our house, so we often used baking soda, and rinsed with salt water.
Having some flavor, any flavor at all, would have helped.

Amanda said...

We tried that once but didn't care for any of the recipes. For now we just but flouride free toothpaste. I'd love to hear what you find you like best!

MB said...

Burt's Bees makes a really yummy Orange Flavored toothpaste, and I think it's fluoride free. And taste's SO good.

MB said...

Never mind, the burt's bee's does have fluoride. I was thinking of another one: Tom's of Maine has a "Silly Strawberry" kids toothpaste that is fluoride free, and tastes good too! :)