Monday, September 12, 2011

Movies With My Daughter

I always like to see what things change or stay the same as we grow older. Take Cinderella, for example. When I was younger, one of my favorite parts of the movie was when the pumpkin turned into the carriage. The way the pumpkin vines swirled into the wheels, and then the orange vegetable just sprung up into a shimmering white coach blew me away. I almost felt like the glitter and sparkles would fall right out of the tv and settle into my hands.

Something that has changed, though, is I now understand exactly everything that is going on in the movies. For example, Cinderella never said, "No matter how your heart is beating, if you keep on bereaving." The correct words are "grieving" and "believing." But up until a few months ago, I had no idea. Watching the movies as an adult makes me realize I seriously missed so much. Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, The Jungle Book -- there is so much you discover after being away from them for 10 years!

My husband insisted on having a quality Disney movie collection for Little Olive. He started stocking up on VHS's at the thrift stores. Why spend $20 on a dvd when you can get a decent tape for $1? Though he claims L.O. is his "Spartan Warrior/Tom Boy", he still wanted her to have a few princess movies. Totally cute, I tell you. She's a little too obsessed with the Lion King right now, so we're introducing The Jungle Book (hilarious how she says "Moe-ghee") and Beauty and the Beast. The only one we're missing right now is Robin Hood, which, in my personal opinion, is one of the greatest Disney animation movies - ever!

What are some movies/words that you finally understood as an adult, despite watching them all your childhood?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Lena loves the disney movies. The only one she hasn't seen is Lion King and Sleeping Beauty, I think, at least out of the good ol' classic ones....

Susan Kane said...

Is your husband's name 'John'? I call him "C.B." when he pulls out a dvd from the $1 bin. Cheap...

How is your sweet girl?
She looks darling!!