Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mother's Affection

Can a mother's affection prevent anxiety in adulthood?  

I came across that amazing article sometime last year; it's just too good to not share. It shows the powerful connection between children and their mothers, especially in regards to emotional health due to positive and healthy interactions when they are young babies. I love that it emphasizes the importance of oxytocin-related behaviors, such as developing trust responding to each other.

cnn.com

I know for a fact that the comfort my mother brings is comparable to no other. When something is wrong or has upset me, I first want to talk to her. Sometimes just talking about other things brings me serenity and I can sort life out afterward. 


Just remember, if you're a mom - or if you have a mom - the undeniable connection moms and children share. Trust that bond and follow that instinct. Even if the child is in another country, studying abroad, or spreading their wings, a few minutes on the phone can make all the difference. Just hearing that familiar voice will surely put your mind at ease. Remember to hug your babies and love them to pieces...afterall, research has shown it will help them later in adulthood. It's even better than starting a college fund. :)


2 comments:

i.ikeda said...

Love the article! Thank you for sharing it. I want to believe that N and I will have this kind of bond and that she'll trust me in the when she needs help. Unfortunately, I don't see this is every mother-daughter relationship (including my own), so I was terrified when I found out I was having a girl.

LuAnn said...

Thanks for writing this. It brought tears to my eyes.