Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wanted: An Easel


A few months back I was visiting my cousin whose daughter loved her wooden art easel. Together, our two girls played happily for a long time with the paint and paintbrushes. When I got home, I started searching the internet for a fair priced easel. It was a harder task than I expected. Easels come in two forms for kids: either they're huge, bulky, plastic, and expensive. Or they're simple, wooden, perfect, and even more expensive.

I try very hard to keep plastics out of my daughter's toy collection. But it's not possible 100% of the time. Plastic toys are cheap - even though they have been shown to be dangerous for children. Wooden toys are natural but very expensive. Little Olive only has a few of them. It stinks that parents need to take out a second mortgage to bring some safe, educational toys for kids into their house. 

But I'm not giving up on the easel! My goal is to find a simple, wooden one for my daughter under $20. I think I can do it. Probably not a brand new one by any means, but used is fine with us as long as it's in good condition. I love the designs by Melissa and Doug...but I definitely don't need a name brand to fit our needs either. For Little Olive to be able to express herself and use big/small arm motions to create a picture is what's most important for me. It would be a great way to learn about colors, about mixing, and even about sharing.

What are some educational toys your children like? What are some you'd like to add to your collection?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://ana-white.com/2010/11/toddler-chalkboard-easel

Anonymous said...

or try this on
http://ana-white.com/2011/03/child-sized-stand-easel
made this easel for my 5 year old niece. It was tweaked from another Ana plan. I used dry erase board and added oversized paper clips at the top to hold sheets of paper. It has turned into a very loved possession.
From Plan: Schoolhouse Chalkboard
Estimated Cost: $20
Estimated Time Investment: Day Project (6-9 Hours)
Required Skill Level: Beginner
Type of Wood: Pine
Finish Used: Two Coats of a creamy oops!

Maggie said...

Wow, thank you so much! :)

Faith E. Hough said...

I don't know if there's an IKEA near you, but they have a great wooden easel for about $15!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50021076

Sam Smith said...

I have been looking for more educational toys for kids for my two daughters. An easel is a great idea! They are at the perfect age they would love it, and it would help them with there shapes and alphabet.