Monday, August 29, 2011

The first thing I'm gonna do...

The first time I was pregnant, I was fine. Really and truly, cross my heart. People all around me drank wine and beer and Mike's Hard Lemonade - and it didn't even phase me. My husband even "fasted" for the nine months with me. Whenever he was offered a bottle or can of something fermented, he'd politely refuse. It was pretty incredible. Even when I'd tell him, "Go ahead and drink - you're not the one pregnant!" - he wouldn't; he was just too sweet. Maybe it's what made not drinking easy for me.

This time around, I don't think anything would make it easy.

I'm no lush. I never was a big drinker at all. I attended three "parties" when I was 19 and that was about it. After that, I'd have one beer until it became even slightly warm...I rarely finished it. Warm beer is gross! I grew to like wine as I became older and developed a taste for the sweet, fruity ones. (Zinfandels, Rieslings, etc.)

Then my sister-in-law told me about an amazing wine, "Red Cat." I do believe I found a favorite.

This summer has been particularly hard with graduation parties, birthdays, and wedding festivities where everyone else was having a blast while I smiled and swirled my Shirley Temple. My brother went abroad this summer and brought us home a 4-pack of Bulmer's Irish Cider (which is a very close second) that has been taunting me from the kitchen.

This is the main reason I'm excited to have a homebirth. It's not about the natural childbirth aspect at all. It's because the first thing I'm going to do as soon as that baby is latched on and nursing away, is request a full glass of my fine wine. My delicious Red Cat that has been patiently waiting for me since January. Don't you worry, sweet goblet of red goodness. I'm coming soon!

And after that, I'll have a Bulmer's. Or two.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness. Red Cat is going to be waiting in the wings for me, too!!! We intro'd my mom to that recently and even SHE liked it - and asked us to pick some up for her. I do believe it is the first time she ever enjoyed a glass of wine in her life... usually 2 sips, and that's about all she can handle.

I've also requested either prosecco or muscato (sparkling Italian wines that can be found for under $10) for immediate post-baby celebrating. :) The sparkle and flavor makes them a lot of fun... sort of like champagne, only they taste better and are a lot cheaper. YUUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!