Thursday, July 07, 2011

Pennies and Dimes

My sister Audrey found a pair of Marc Jacobs sunglasses in a local college bathroom. They're currently on ebay, hopefully getting lots of bids. What people will pay for a namebrand always amazes me. If I didn't know that Marc Jacobs was a fancy name, I would have stuck a 50 cents sticker on them for our garage sale.

We're in total "sell mode" over here. Our garage sale is coming up this weekend, and we have nearly four tables stocked full of things we're going to sell. I'm pretty excited - I love garage sales. Last summer we had one at our house and earned $120 - just for getting rid of things we don't need. I was quite pleased. We ordered some amazing Buffalo chicken wings as a celebration, but the rest went to bills.

This year...we'll be doing the same thing. No blowing the money on fun things. I'm hoping to double our earnings (listen to me, all business mode). I'm so close to paying off my school loans - so all the money earned will be chunked into that payment.

On other news, my etsy account has hit a small low. Lots of views, but no buys since day one. I need to fix this...not sure how. Better pictures? Better products? Stick to ebay? Maybe I should start sewing some pink scrubs. Those are so cute...I'd buy them. And I could make them for less than $25...just saying. But for the more manly people, I would have to make more manly colored things. But I'd need a model for that...

("Ian!")

5 comments:

i.ikeda said...

I have a really good book about selling crafts on and off Etsy if you want to borrow it. It does say that pictures help, so if you want I can try to help you with that (my camera can took some pretty good quality pictures). Also, listing new items often also helps because your shop comes back to the front of the line. Is Ebay better? I've never had any experience with it....

Natalie said...

I think the eBay is still more popular at this point, so that might be a better market for you right now. Give it a shot and see what happens!! :) I've been in sell-mode around here, too... I wish we could have a garage sale, but no one will come to this remote location, so I've been doing eBay instead. I'll probably list some stuff on Amazon, too. Need money for the cloth diapers and baby stroller! :)

Maggie said...

@Lu, I'd be interested in what that book is! My cousin's been giving me really good tips - I'm going to send them to you as you prepare your shop!

@Nat, Etsy is actually very popular, but it caters to an entirely different crowd. It's not a place to go for good deals. Etsy is for unique, special items, and I'm just not used to it yet. I'm used to posting a listing and having it sold within 3 days. Plus the excitement of bidding isn't around with Etsy. But I made a sale this morning on my shop so I'm excited! :)

Amanda said...

Look at you selling your handmade items! ;) I wish I was crafty enough, but (ahem) I'm not. Oh yeah, and I had no idea Marc Jacobs was a brand name- gosh I am out of it.
Do I just annoy the bajeebies out of you with my random comments?!

Natalie said...

I have no idea why I typed "THE eBay"... I meant "THAT eBay..." Oh goodness. ;)

And yes, Etsy has provided lots of income for my friends with special shops... handbags, handmade stationery, etc... You just need to develop a clientele and advertise your product more at first than you do with eBay, it seems. I'm sure as more people find out about your items, you'll be making a lot more sales either way! Word of mouth is important, too, so as people buy and like your items, they'll be telling their friends.... :) Congrats on your latest sale!