Friday, July 01, 2011

Natural Deoderant

Welcome summer! Not so much welcome to the extra sweating and need for deodorant applications several times a day. Deodorants have not escaped the "harmful products" list, unfortunately, as ingredients such as aluminum have been added as a main ingredient for anti-perspirants. Aluminum has been a concern for my family for years ever since we learned it was linked to Alzheimer's disease - which runs in our family. We try to avoid it in lotions, foods, vaccines, and everything else, including our deodorants. We try to go as natural as possible. 

For years I was thrilled with an Adidas brand that smelled great and really worked! It wasn't an anti-perspirant, but I was glad since blocking the pores from sweating is actually not good at all. Sweating is a cleansing function of the body and we shouldn't try to block that from happening.

The other day, I went to the store to restock on my Adidas deodorant. At first I couldn't find it, and I became discouraged that they stopped making it. Then I found it, and instead of being discouraged, I was upset. They no longer make the "natural" kind without aluminum. In fact, their bottle says right on the front that it contains this blasted ingredient.

Thinking that my only option was the $5 bottle of Tom's Naturals (which never worked for me anyway), I thought I would have to stink all summer.

Then, I saw it! An Arm and Hammer brand that advertised "No Aluminum"! I was so happy - plus it was a dollar less than the Adidas stuff I'd been buying for years.

A few days later, I am pleased to tell you that I love this new brand. I bought the "unscented" kind since the "Fresh" bottle smelled rather manly. Mine isn't fragrance free, but I like the scent. It's very simple and clean.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

I know some people use cornstarch, baking soda, vinegar, etc. as their natural deodorants. Feel free to leave a comment below telling us what works for you and how to apply it. We're always up for a new idea!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

We've been using this brand for about a year and even Dan loves it! It was hard to convince him to go aluminum-free since he said nothing worked, but he hasn't once complained about this one!

LuAnn said...

I have found baking soda and arrowroot or cornstarch in coconut oil works really well. Here's the recipe:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot (or cornstarch)
About 5 Tablespoons coconut oil.

You can use the dry ingredients only, and apply with a powder puff if you want. That works, but the powder ended up on the bedroom rug!
Putting the dry ingredients in the coconut oil solved that problem, plus the coconut oil is so good for the skin. I love this deodorant and it's all I use now.

i.ikeda said...

Put me down in the "I make my own with cornstarch and baking soda and coconut oil"-list.

It's an easy and very effective recipe. (see LuAnn's comment for the recipe)
I love it!