Sunday, June 12, 2011

Prepping for Birth

Butterflies & Hiccups: A Guided Pregnancy Journal
Today I'm going to share some "favorites" of mine during my pregnancy!

Journal:
I used to keep a journal for all of my teenage years. I filled over 50 of them and enjoyed writing every day - and sometimes twice a day! Then once I hit college, life changed a lot and I didn't make time to write as often. But I still like recording big events! That's why I'm currently keeping this pregnancy journal with updates, changes, and pictures of the nine months. It was a gift from my husband's cousin, and I would recommend it for a pregnant momma who would like a memory book. It's nice because you can fill it out as often or as little as you want.

Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, 3 Ounce Tins
Belly Butter:
I'm a huge fan of cocoa butter products to help with stretch marks. I like the kinds that smell like chocolate, but this one is fragrance free and very soothing. As the skin stretches and grows so rapidly during pregnancy, it can feel dry and itchy. I experienced that a lot when I was expecting Little Olive. But this time around, I started to apply belly butter before I noticed any growth. I think it really helped. Adding vitamin e, cocoa butter, and collagen helps the skin become more elastic and moisturized. I highly recommend this for all pregnant mothers - even after birth.


Hylands Cell Salts 6x | Set of All 12 Cell Salts | 500 tablets
Homeopathic Cell Salts:
Cell salts are low potency remedies that act as "maintenance" for certain health and body issues. For each month of pregnancy, there are three different cell salts to take for pregnancy-related issues, such as water retention, varicose veins, stretch marks, etc. To get all the details, you can download the information here at HomeopathyWorks.net. Fill out your name and e-mail address, and you'll be knowledgeable in this topic, for you and your baby. I dissolve 3 tablets of each remedy in a glass of water, and I sip it twice each day. Each sip is one dose. Pretty easy. :)
kmart.com


Shoes:
When FitFlops first came out, I wanted them badly. Tone my legs and bottom just by walking? That's my kind of exercise. But at $60 a pair no way was I going to spend my hard-earned money on shoes. (I am extremely cheap.) As much as Kmart is one of my least favorite places to shop, I have to admit I find great shoes there. And for reasonable prices too. In the summer of '09 when I was pregnant with Little Olive, I bought these TheraSandals for $9.99. I went for the gladiator colors because I'm so cool like that, but they also had black, pink, white variations too. Wow, can I tell you how much I love these shoes? Never have I owned a more comfortable and supportive pair. Whether they actually tone or not, I couldn't tell you. All I know is they are mad comfortable. Up until the day I gave birth, I put all my other shoes aside and wore these. Last summer I did the same, and you can bet what I'm wearing two years later in '11. They still cradle my feet and offer such a soft sole. I would tell you to go buy them right now, but they are sold out (as far as I can tell) in stores and online. If you find differently, let me know. I'm not a shoe hoarder but I would buy a pair to save for future pregnancies. Seriously, let me know. :) Comfortable feet mean comfortable walking, posture, and back. And that means a happy momma!


HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing (3rd Edition)
Childbirth Methods:
I heard about Hypnobirthing from my midwife and read the book. And loved everything about it. I talked about it last summer a little in this blog post, and I'm back again to tell you about how cool it is. I am trying to make myself "practice" a lot more this time around. Usually I pick a time when I can sit down for 20 minutes, turn on my iPod, and listen to the guided relaxations. I've also picked a few very peaceful songs to practice with, and this way I can listen to them during labor. Classical conditioning, right?


If you have any pregnancy favorites or birth preparations, share them below!

1 comment:

i.ikeda said...

This post will come in very handy if I ever get pregnant again, haha. But considering the husband is quite far, that won't be happening anytime soon. :) Thanks for sharing all this info, especially about the shoes. I had never seen those before!