Sunday, June 19, 2011

First Love

My younger sister graduated from high school yesterday. It was an emotional day! My family belongs to a homeschooling group, and the graduations are held at the same place every year. It brought back memories being there again! You see kids who you remember being 10 years old, now suddenly switching their tassels. You see new families and old friends. Some people haven't changed a bit - others you barely recognize. It's always a nice day.

I was particularly touched by seeing an old friend who I haven't been in touch with much since graduating. We were all friends back then, but our close circles were different. I always remember her being very cool and down-to-earth though.

Well, I had the pleasure of talking with her for a little while and you could just see the happiness in her eyes. She just gave birth to her first child a couple months ago. He is beautiful and precious, and he spent every moment cuddled into her chest. Content as could be. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. You could just tell they were perfect. He trusted her and didn't need anything else. She held him close, and so naturally. We talked about being moms and how crazy it was that we felt so much love for our babies - the tiny mushballs that they are. We never knew that love could feel like this.

When people hear "first love", they think about that puppy love crush in middle school. That boy who, looking back, was not nearly as cute as we once thought. People don't really think about the other "first" loves in their lives. Like your first real love - that real genuine, romantic love. That would be my husband.

But then there's parental love - that just opens up a whole new world for us. Nothing compares to it. I could never say who I love more, my husband or my daughter. I love them to my fullest capacity - in different ways. And now that I'm expecting a second, I hope it will be the same.

In Harry Potter, Voldemort splits his soul into many pieces out of hatred. I wonder if having another child will be like a reverse-horcrux. The heart will be split into pieces - one for each baby, and out of complete love. If the love I feel for Little Olive is anything like what I'll feel for the second, I say bring it on. :)

22 comments:

Claudia said...

Strange Maggie, my story relates also to the parental love!

Word Nerd said...

I love this! And I can tell you with certainty that the love multiplies, rather than being divided, when new babies come along. :O)

D Ana said...

This is very sweet.

Joyce Lansky said...

You can't compare love to the Horcrux. With each new love, it grows stronger unlike Voldemort's twisted situation. Great post.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

Yes...I've had a few first loves...when thinking about it that way :) My children, my love for singing, etc. Great post. Thanks for sharing!!
Jenn

Http://www.wine-n-chat.com/

Laurie Peel said...

Love is like a flame. You can light many candles from one flame without ever diminishing it. Love is the same, you keep loving the new people that come into your life without ever diminishing your love for the ones who came before.

Lovely post!

Brenda Stevens said...

this is so precious...an even today i witnessed this love..cuddled close to my sister's chest. She can't have children...she adopted her first and WOW..she is BEAMING! like you through these lines..thank you so much for sharing such tenderness : )

Kristen said...

I love the opposite of the horcrux concept! That is right on.

Renata Yvonne said...

I'm not a mom, but I admire and appreciate the bond that mothers have with their children, of any age!

Angela Parson Myers said...

Very insightful. And the nice thing about love is that instead of dividing to take in more people, it multiplies. And I've experienced that multiplication not only with children, but with grandchildren. It never diminishes; it just grows and grows.

Marian said...

This is lovely!

i.ikeda said...

Oh, Maggie, this is such a sweet post. I couldn't agree more, the love I feel when I look at little N. has no match, but then again there are other "loves" that also have no match. I never thought one heart could be capable of so much love, but it just grows and grows exponentially! The human heart/brain/soul (whatever it is) amazes me for its capacity to feel so much love.

Mojo Writin' said...

I love the picture with this post. Such a happy image :) Lovely post and I can promise you one thing... Having had four children, each of whom I love with equal devotion, the heart is capable of infinite and equal divisions and grows stronger for each act of loving :)

catchats said...

Parental love is a wonderful thing. Lovely heartfelt post! And I agree that the love just multiplies with each new baby. All the best to you!

www.catmuses.wordpress.com

Langley said...

This is beautiful, I love this post. I'm sure the love will multiply.

ResidentGamer said...

I love how you compared it to horcuxes,very interesting!

Tony Payne said...

Parental love is very important too. It's nice to see how so many of these First Love posts focus on different angles.

Alison said...

Yes, the heart grows with each additional child. And when a parent tells you they can't choose a favorite, it's true--because not only is the love equal from child to child, but it's also different.

Great post.

Rachel said...

Maggie, you are SO SO CUTE. xoxo I love how well you write!

pbquig said...

The amazing thing I have found about the heart is that is has room for an ever widening circle of love.
Pam
A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

Eccentricity said...

I couldn't even say who I love most--there is no most. I just love. Great post!

Kathy29156 said...

I love your post!! I will never forget the overwhelming sense of love I felt when I first gazed into my baby daughter and son's eyes. Priceless! It was an overwhelming consuming love that has only grown.
Kathy
http://www.thetruckerswife.com/