Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mother Teresa's Wisdom

It's nearing the end of May and I promised to dedicate this month to mothers. I got sidetracked for a few posts but have no fear! I'm back. 

...In case any of you were holding me to my word.

Anyways. I'm highlighting an amazing mother today, Mother Teresa, a nun who started the Sisters of Charity. Instead of giving you her bio, I'll tell you why she personally has affected me. I think, to an extent, we're all snobs. I dress better than you, my health is better than you, you always make mistakes, I never do anything wrong, don't tell me what to do, my kids are better than yours, my way of thinking is better than yours, my talents are more advanced than yours, and my gosh - what did you do to your hair? etc.

But this lady was amazing. She took the ways of the world and flipped them over. Pride? Yeah, we've all got that. But she showed us what it means to be humble. Being humble isn't talking about being humble. Or wanting to be humble. Or talking about how you're so prideful and if only you could be more humble...

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself less." -Rick Warren, I believe. And isn't that exactly what Mother Teresa was like? Always thinking of others, always putting them first, always talking about love and charity. Not only talking - but really and truly living it. She helped anyone. It didn't matter what the people looked, smelled, or talked like. It didn't matter what religion they were or how worthy they were of help. She gave them help, and by doing so, she gave them love. 


There is a famous poem often attributed to Mother Teresa. I'm not sure if she wrote it herself, but I think it's amazing and beautiful advice to live by. Even if you've seen it a million times, take a few moments and let the words mean something to you. 



People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self centered;

Forgive them anyway.


If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;

Be kind anyway.


If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;

Succeed anyway.


If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;

Be honest and frank anyway.


What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;

Build anyway.


If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;

Be happy anyway.


The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;

Do good anyway.


Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;

Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.


You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;

It was never between you and them anyway.

6 comments:

i.ikeda said...

Powerful poem. I had part of it as a quote on my journals for a long time. You can only strive for something like this, but she was something special. I doubt I can ever live up to her spirit of charity. Thank you for having a post on Mother Teresa.

Mountain Mama said...

I first read this poem 2 years ago and have loved it ever since. Mother Teresa is certainly a wonderful role model for us all.

I was away from blogger for a couple weeks and I received an award while I was gone. I passed in on to you in my first post yesterday, if you'd like to pick it up. Have a wonderful day! :)

Kiera said...

ahhh have chills this ENTIRE post

Sylvestre Ayissi said...

I have volunteered in Mother's Foundation from June 1st to July 2nd. Some of the stories of the kids I have served and worked with at Daya Dan's orphanage there make me cried sometimes. Mother Teresa is my hero.
I invited you to read about my blog with many posts about the foundation on: http://www.sylva28.blogspot.com

Sylvestre Ayissi said...

Just a correction, to get into my blog, just go to http://wwwsylva28.blogspot.com

LuAnn said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but I'm almost glad I did, because I really needed to read it now. Thank you, dear Maggie.