Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Constipation Cookies

Yes, I'm one of those moms who discusses my child's poop. I wouldn't have to except lately, she's been extremely aware of this bodily function, and sometimes that does more harm than good. She usually cries when she has to go, and sometimes I think she holds it because she doesn't like it. In any case, she's having some fiber issues...the first food that comes to mind for this situation is prunes, but my Little Olive refuses any and all forms. (I can't really blame her...they're a little gross.) So my mom and sister suggested being sneaky to get some good food in her system. Since my daughter would stop the earth's rotation upon hearing the word "cookie", I went with this route.

I found this recipe but changed some stuff to fit our needs. You can follow either one but my recipe below is tailored toward "bulk". The great thing is that my daughter really thinks she's getting a treat when she's actually getting some necessary foods! 

Share other recipes or ideas for this topic!

Ingredients (for approximately four dozen): 

3 cups oatmeal
2 eggs
¾ cup applesauce
¾ cup plain yogurt (I used vanilla flavor because it was what we had in the house. I think it made the cookies delicious.)
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup 
molasses
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (or a few) drizzle of pure maple syrup
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup of tapioca flour (this is a delicious gluten free flour that added a lot of sponge to the cookie. Highly recommend it, but I would assume any cup of flour would work fine.)
1 cup (or more) chocolate chips



Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Put the oatmeal into a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients (eggs, applesauce, yogurt, peanut butter, mollases, vanilla, maple syrup). Mix and let it soak while you prepare the rest.

In a separate bowl, mix together the crushed walnuts and other small dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon). 

To the dry ingredients, mix in the flour and lastly, the chocolate chips. Add to wet mixture until blended. 

Lightly oil two baking sheets - I used canola oil. Drop batter in rows on cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time. 350° for 13 minutes. 

5 comments:

Created2bholy said...

They were very yummy! Can't wait to make them for the girls!

i.ikeda said...

Yum, they sound delicious. Since N. has some trouble with this too, I may try this sometime. I think I told you about pears, right? They seem to work for us, and since your little on is a snacker, no hurt trying, eh?

We were so excited to see you two! I hope Little Olive wasn't too traumatized by the attempts to clean her and the pretending to be her. Oh wait, maybe it was all the Japanese that did it. :)

LuAnn said...

They were delicious! And I would just add that this would be a good way to get fiber into those of us in the "older set" who get sick of prunes, too!

Natalie said...

Great idea!! Therese has a lot of troubles with that, too... something like this would be perfect for her.

i.ikeda said...

Gyahhhh! It ate my comment in tall the Blogger craziness....

I said I'll have to try these out. I also said I hoped little Olive didn't get too traumatized by the two crazy people she visited with you last week. :)