Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Best Gluten Free Bread Recipe

While on our gluten free diet for a month, I tried out a few bread recipes. In our area, a decent GF loaf of bread costs around $5 - which is absolutely too high for us. We bought one, and it was delicious, but I challenged myself to make some from scratch. After a few delicious but crumbly tries, I came across this amazing gluten free bread recipe.  You can go to the website for more tips, but here's the recipe with my adjustments:

Really Good Gluten Free Sandwich Bread
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 ½ c. water (105 degrees or a little less than hot)
2 ½ cups of gluten free flour (I used half tapioca, half rice flour)
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 ½ Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1. Start by combining the yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add the water while gently stirring the yeast and sugar. Let this mixture sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients – bubbles and foam should form if the yeast is happy.
2. Combine the flour mix, xanthan gum and salt in the largest mixing bowl and stir well.
3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vinegar until the eggs are a bit frothy.
4. By this point the yeast mixture should be foamy, so you can pour the two liquid mixtures into the flour mixture. Blend the dough with a mixer for 4 minutes.
Scoop the dough into a greased loaf pan. Allow the dough to rise in a warm area until is is about 1 inch from the top of the pan. Then bake at 375 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes.
I wish I'd taken a picture of this loaf - but my daughter and I practically ate the whole thing that day. It is awesome for sandwiches, toast, spreads...just try it! :) 

1 comment:

i.ikeda said...

How did you like the glutten free diet? Is it worth trying it out? I'd really like to eat healthier.