Saturday, April 23, 2011

T is for Teething

Teething can be such a sad and painful time for a baby. The discomfort they're feeling makes them miserable - I mean, wouldn't you feel the same way if sharp teeth were cutting up through your gums at such a young age? Sure, you might think, but there's always Oragel. I'm not adamantly against Oragel or other medicines that numb the pain. After all, they work. But I am hesitant because they can numb other parts of the mouth, making feeding difficult, or inhibiting their gag reflex. Not always a good thing!

Thankfully, there are several natural options for teething relief.

Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Camilia Teething Relief Single-Use Oral Doses, 20-Count Boxes (Pack of 2)The first is Boiron Homeopathic Camilia. Its main ingredient is the remedy, chamomilla. Have you ever heard of chamomile tea? Known for its relaxing qualities, essentially, chamomilla is a remedy for teething, as it works to ease restlessness, sore gums, and irritability. I went through so many of these packets as Little Olive was starting to teethe. They worked almost immediately, and they were low enough in potency so that I could repeat a dose when needed. I found these at our local grocery store, but you can also find them online, such as on Amazon.com.

The next is just plain, old Chamomilla. For those of you who are not being guided by a well-trained homeopath, you can give doses of 12c or 30c. Dissolve 3 tablets in water, and give a teaspoon of the solution to the baby every 4 hours until they're better.

Another idea that my husband and I really liked was wetting washcloths, sticking them in the freezer, and then letting L.O. chew on them to relieve the pain. She loved it.

And then if you want to destine your child to alcoholism, you can always rub whiskey on the gums. Maintaining my title as the Exceptional Parent, I have to say: I prefer a safe remedy any day!

5 comments:

The Itinerant Laborer said...

I LOVED Hyland's Teething Tablets and was really upset when they took them off the market. They are not unsafe. Way safer than Tylenol! But people cant stand the idea of anything not stamped with the FDA buyout label, um, I mean, approval.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

you're such a fantastic mommy!

Happy Easter!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Word Nerd said...

Frozen washcloths really do work well. It must feel awful to have sharp objects jutting through your gums--poor babies!

My “T” Post
My “S” Post

i.ikeda said...

We used Camilia and I swear by it. N. loved it, and still does. We had an almost full packet left when she was done teething her last tooth, and once in a while she asks for her "chewing medicine". She used to chew the little container after she was done sucking it out. I don't know what actually worked - the chamomila or the chewing, haha. I need to talk to you about using a homeopath one of these days.

Happy Easter to you and your family! Hope you're having a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I totally loved Hyland's too and have been trying to find something that works as well especially since my daughter seems to be cutting all her top teeth (4) at once. Not a great Easter!! The washcloth thing works great during the day bit mommy is getting tired at night!