Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J is for Just in case...

When Little Olive was baptized at one month old, she wore the christening gown I had worn as a baby. My mom made it for me. It was in the same perfect, beautiful condition years later. I'm all set for the christening if the baby is a girl. But since we're not finding out the gender until the birth, I have to be prepared for a little boy! I don't like the idea of a boy wearing a gown, but I wouldn't be against the idea if we were desperate. Because I thought about it with enough time in advance, I'm making our Maybe Baby Boy his own Baptismal suit.

This morning, I worked on the pants. I decided not to spend any time or money on such a tiny pattern. Instead, I used one of Little Olive's newborn pants as a model. I folded the pants and placed them on a folded edge of material. I cut around them, leaving enough room for seam allowance, hems, and the elastic waist casing. I did this twice, giving me two pieces for the pants. Usually pant patterns require four pieces (two for each leg, front and back), but I eliminated the need for four by cutting on a fold. This took care of the outer leg seem.

Cutting on a fold

The next step was sewing the inner leg seem for each side. See the point sticking out in the middle below? I started there and sewed a seem down to the ankle. I did this on both legs.

Before sewing
After that, it was time to connect everything. This is the hardest to explain. With the "right" sides together (the inside of the pants, what you don't see in the picture), I started at the top in the front and continued to the back. Be sure not to sew all four layers together as you make this seem. Separate them so you create the space for the torso.

After sewing

Once that was done, I folded the waist down, making a simple casing for the elastic waist. After feeding the elastic through, I secured the elastic ends together, smoothed the waist out, and closed off the opening in the waist.


The trickiest part was the last - hemming the tiny legs. It was a slow process but they turned out great and even. It had been like sewing doll clothes. I want to emphasize how simple this little project was. From start to finish, it took about 25 minutes. I had the fabric left over from my wedding dress, a simple white satin. The elastic I had in my sewing box. Easy peasy.

Finished, ironed, and right-side out :)
Next will be the shirt top. I was going to use the rest of the fabric, but I don't want the Baby to be slippery. I may go with a different fabric. When I decide what I'm doing, I'll let you all know!

Have a good Tuesday!

3 comments:

LuAnn said...

Maggie, I love your blog! And these pants are A for adorable! If baby is a boy, he's going to look smashing on his Christening Day!

i.ikeda said...

What a good idea to use her pants for a "pattern." They came out looking so nice too! Can't wait to see what you do for the shirt, and I hope you keep doing tutorials like this. I'm one reader who'd take your tips on sewing. :) (I still can't believe you sewed your own wedding gown....)

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, you are so creative! I can't wait to get a sewing machine someday... it's been 15 years since I've used one, though, so I'm going to need you to give me a refresher course! :)