My wonderful cousin, who introduces me to so many cool things, has been telling me for almost a year now to use cloth wipes. She said it's super easy and so worth it. I've finally, finally made the switch!
Why I'm switching: We use cloth diapers (<-- real blog post by yours truly) for environmental, cleanliness, natural, and economical reasons. We're using cloth wipes for the same reasons too.
How I made the switch: I could have bought them for a nice, high price on Etsy, eBay, or any other online store. But I knew I could easily make them myself for less - and not pay for shipping! I went to the fabric store and bought 3.5 yards of different designs of flannel. Flannel is great because it's so soft for the babies' little bottoms. The material was on clearance, so I ended up spending about $9. (When I got home, naturally, I learned all clearance fabric would be an additional 50% off this weekend. So it could have been about $4.50!)
I sat on my living room floor and cut out squares. I went a little bigger than your average wipe so that I will hopefully use less during a diaper change. My squares are about 8x8 inches. Even going big, I was able to get nearly 60 squares out of my fabric!
Because flannel will fray, I had to finish the edges. This is where those Etsy cloth wipes are nice - people use their sergers and make them look so professional. Well, I don't have a serger. So instead, I hugged the edges of each cloth wipe with a tight zig-zag stitch on my regular sewing machine. I'm about half-way through the pile now, and I just wanted to share a picture of the three finished wipes.
I know people use different things to make the wipes moist. Some simply use warm water. Others use a mixture of water, oil, and scents. I'm looking for suggestions! :) Feel free to share yours below!
*Update from the next day:
As it turns out, my stitch was not the perfect solution. After half of the wipes went through the washer and dryer, I was left with a mess of jumbles and frayed edges - because I didn't go to the very edge of the material. I went close, but not overlapping. This left about 1/8 of an inch of open material. I had no idea such a tiny amount would go so crazy in the machines! For the second half of the wipes, I'm going to do a regular, folded hem. It will take more time while I'm sewing, but it's okay. I'm spending just as much time untangling the wipes fresh out of the dryer anyway. :)