Wednesday, April 06, 2011

E is for Exercise

Sorry for the weird image - this is my favorite comedian, Brian Regan, talking about working out.

I have to give a little shout-out to my brother, Tim, who has tried to get me into P90X for several years. He says it's amazing, it works, and I'd love it. But I disagree, Tim, I would not love it. How do I know this? Easy - because everyone who's doing P90X on facebook feels it's necessary to inform all their friends exactly where they are in the program and how miserable they are doing it. "Man, just started abs day 4. Totally dying over here...so sore. LOVE IT."

What!?

Do people really enjoy feeling like they can't move? That their muscles ache so badly that they can't even lift their fancy water bottle to their mouth?

Well, maybe some people do. But not me. I danced for 11 years while growing up, taking 3 - 4 classes per week, and was in great shape. The word "exercise" seemed like a chore to me. I was getting a great work out during the week doing things I loved. Why would I put on sneakers and pump myself up into a cardio sweat?

Because...after you stop dancing, go to college, and get a job, life happens. And before you know it, your resting pulse is alarming. My heart is working that hard to do nothing? Oh dear...
I took yoga off and on during my college years and loved it. When I became pregnant with Little Olive, my husband bought me a great yoga dvd. I attempted it for a while but soon became discouraged as I could barely keep up with the modified, simple third trimester lady in the back. I had no motivation or flexibility and soon retired the lovely Shiva Rae to my bookshelf.

This time around, I'm determined to do something for my health, so I found a dvd set on Amazon and jumped into the 2nd trimester dvd. It's actually - dare I say - enjoyable! Lindsay is like the happiest, perkiest, prettiest little workout instructor imaginable. She's not screaming at you to keep up in order to see results. She's calm and encouraging. There's also a 20 minute yoga session at the end of every cardio, and I can actually do everything. It's cool!

The cons of the dvd: sometimes the three girls are off-beat with the music. It's annoying. I've decided it's less stressful to just follow the music and be two counts behind the girls. (I'm so exceptional, I need to be on beat.) Near the end of the cardio (2nd trimester) dvd, she gets a little nutty with switching up her exercises. A bit hard to follow. I fixed this by picking my favorite exercise and doing it while she flies around trying to fit in 19 variations.

It also comes with a "post baby" boot camp dvd. I have no idea if I'll be able to fit that one in, but I have it and I just might give it a try come October. :)

7 comments:

i.ikeda said...

Did I ever mention to you what I did for exercise after N. was born? Baby lifts. I kid you not. I used N. as weights and would do sit ups or squats holding her. Maybe it was dangerous? I don't know, but at least she wouldn't scream for me until I picked her up. The child wouldn't even nap unless she was glued to me.

The Exceptional Parent said...

Haha that's great! Maybe I can do double lifts with both kids! :)

Natalie said...

If my ligaments weren't so crappy, I'd be very interested in those pregnancy workout dvd's, too!!!
As someone who always LOVED ballet but HATED traditional exercise, I have to say... I really, really miss P90X and can't wait until this baby is 6 weeks old so I can start doing it again. Yes, I'll be sore at first but that will go away and it is SO MUCH FUN! And I alway feel so proud of myself and have so much more energy. I wasn't doing it to lose weight, just to get toned... and it was such a good feeling. I hadn't felt that good since I used to dance 20 hours/week when I was 14. So, despite what I used to think, I AM a person who likes to exercise... I just need a lot of variety and enjoyable challenges. That's what ballet did for me way back when, and that's why I miss P90X now! :)

Natalie said...

But... all that said... I still hate yoga. :P LOL That is much more "boring" and feels more like "ugh...exercise" than almost everything else I have ever done. Weird, huh?

The Exceptional Parent said...

Nat, I bet if you had a real-deal yoga teacher, you might enjoy it. That's how I started off and really felt so relaxed and energized from it. Even the dvds don't hold a candle. Maybe someday!

Natalie said...

Maybe! :)

Cindy said...

I got into hoop dancing (with an awesome instructor) postpartum this time and love it. The hour and a half class will be over and I'll be like "already? awwww"

I've only been to a few yoga classes and never really liked them. The last one I went to was a prenatal and I was the only person who showed up so the instructor decided it was time to push me or something and was trying to convince me that I needed to learn to do wall handstands, and was getting very frustrated with me when I couldn't do it :( Totally not the relaxing escape I was hoping for.