Friday, March 25, 2011

This is why we can't have nice things

Would you believe there was a time in my life when I wanted to be an automechanic? It was a very brief time, naturally, but it happened. I think it came during my first semester in college. While I loved the new environment of school, I also felt very drained after a full day of sitting in classes. How did people do this for 18 years before even getting to college?? I needed to do something hands-on! I needed to not be sitting all day. It was also the year I bought my first car, a black chevrolet cavalier. Never before that had I taken much interest in cars, and I took such pride in my own. I had saved up for a few years and bought it in cash for $2,200. "It is what it is," the guy selling it told us...over and over. ;) It had 68k, and the only thing wrong was the AC didn't work. Not a big deal to me, though...I loved having the windows down anyway. Besides, he had showered it in "Fee-breeze" so it smelled great.

Owning a car is expensive, but as my Dad told me, if you take good care of it you prevent a lot of costly problems. Every 3,000 miles on the dot, I took it in for an oil change. I actually thought I was going to get in trouble by the mechanic if it was past that. I kept my fluids up and my tires filled. I didn't slam on my breaks or floor the gas. To baby the transmission, I made sure the car was completely stopped before switching gears. I did hit someone once...it was a couple days before Christmas Eve, and I was too busy singing/dancing to Lonestar's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (omg Lonestar lied to me!) to notice the traffic slowing in front of me. (Apparently the bright, flood of red lights wasn't enough to catch my attention.) Thankfully, the damage wasn't bad and the car I hit was already a rust bucket, so the cop went easy on us.

When I was rear-ended on the thru-way a couple years later, I had a hard time believing the gum-chewing blonde that she had "sneezed" at the very moment she hit me. I probably would have been more understanding if she gave me a REAL phone number when we exchanged information at the scene. The damage was pretty bad and I had to get it repaired. I'll never forget her name...McKenna. (Don't worry there's 800 searches on facebook, we'll never find her.)

If you ever get into a pickle and don't know how much repairs are going to cost, you go to websites and type in all your car information to get an estimate on the cost.  I'd suggest starting with this website to get an idea, but then go to a trusted mechanic.

Thankfully, it won't be me. Instead, I'll be here at home doing what I love: writing, and watching my 16 month old bring me an empty M&M bag from the garbage saying, "Peese? Peese?"

Life is good. :)

No comments: