This past week, our sweet daughter threw my iPod touch into the toilet. I froze. Then took it out. Then because it was already soaking, I quickly cleaned it. Then I washed my hands.
...And then I panicked.
I tried turning it on, but nothing happened. I was super bummed, because my husband gave this to me as a gift. I couldn't believe it was broken! I googled what to do and found a few different suggestions, so I did them all:
1) Don't try to turn your device on. If there is water, this could cause a shortage inside. Of course, I read this after trying to turn it on, but I'm including it for you guys.
2) Fill a container with rice.
3) Place the iPod face down in the rice, surrounded almost entirely, with some of the back exposed.
4) Find a spot in direct, warm sunlight, and put the container there. (If it's not sunny, put it under a lamp. But don't get it super hot either. Just warm.)
5) They didn't tell me to do this, but I slightly angled the iPod in the container so that any water could drip down and out.
They said to wait 24 hours, but I did this for almost two full days. And guess what? It worked! After charging it completely, it turned on after a few tries and works great!
I read a lot of reviews that iPods are extremely sensitive, cheaply made, and way overpriced. I also read Apple doesn't fix water damage. So if your iPod gets wet, don't throw it out right away. Give it a solid two days in rice...in the sunlight...and I hope it works for you too.