Friday, March 18, 2011

Frittatas and friends

It's time for another shout-out post! Technically, this will be about two people - even though only one of them became a follower during my awesome promotion. I hope she doesn't mind sharing the spotlight...but we've already clarified amongst us that you can't have one without the other. Two peas in a pod.

So back in December, I met two girls...the one is my husband's friend's older sister, Jill. And the second is the older sister's best friend, Kara. We were introduced by the friend. (If you're lost, that's okay...now you can't stalk us.) Jill invited me over to her house since we have kids the same age, and because we were told we should hang out (by my husband's friend...okay I'll stop). This is something I have never done in my life - go to someone's house without ever meeting them with the expectation of becoming friends. I was shaking in my boots nervous...armed with none other than the best - Wegman's cinnamon rolls - I ventured out. And as it turns out, I had a great time.

It was a definite breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I have a solid handful of wonderful, awesome girlfriends. But I just have to boast about these girls for a minute. There was something immediately comfortable about being around K and J. They showed their true colors right off the bat and started asking me blunt, interesting questions while casually placing a delicious mango mimosa in my hand.

Before I left that afternoon, we talked about meeting up again the next week, as Jill offered to rearrange my front room without ever setting foot in my house.

Now, skip ahead two months. I hang my head while admitting it was that long before any of us spoke again. The holidays and January took over my life until Jill publicly addressed the issue in her blog. Realizing that they did like me and that they wanted to hang out again made me realize 1) I stink at staying in touch with people and 2) it's okay to take chances...but I have to stop being insecure long enough to do that. It lit a fire under my booty to set up another play date. And it was the best Tuesday morning I had had in two months.

What I like about them is that they're real, down to earth, and outgoing. I've also never met anyone who was blown away by the fact that my handwriting is bad, or that I keep track of my life using a calendar. It's super cool meeting other young moms who enjoy what they do, and who don't feel like our lives are pitiful because we have children. There's a little comradery (<-- why is that saying it's spelled wrong? Is it?) amongst us. I'd like to walk out on a limb and say it's the start of a cool friendship...but you never know, they might be possessed. Or worse.

3 comments:

Kiera said...

hahahhahha remember jill said, "can't you control it?!??" about your handwriting. loolololo

The Exceptional Parent said...

That was hilarious.

Johanna said...

I love you Maggie McCracken! sooo funny.