Thursday, October 14, 2010

The No-Cry Sleep Solution

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the NightAt the time of reading this book, I was questioning my bedtime and sleep methods.  I would always hold my baby, or lay next to her, and nurse her until she fell fast asleep. I started to wonder if I was creating bad habits. It was also frustrating because any time I would try to break her latch, she would wake up. I knew I was doing the right thing by being attentive to her needs and by creating such a strong attachment with her (because, as we all know, babies need attachments!), but I was beyond discouraged over this hour-long (sometimes longer) process.

That's why this book was a great comfort. Elizabeth Pentley writes with gentleness and common sense, both traits I highly admire. The one message that spoke directly to me was when she said, (and I'm paraphrasing) There's no easy fix, so be patient and expect this process to take a while. That is why she recommends keeping a "journal" of the bedtime routines. Parents need to see that their efforts are making a difference, and seeing that record of direct correlations is very encouraging.

I love this because it respected the baby and respected the parent for cuddling, loving, and giving that baby warmth and affection. It then also gives gentle, effective ways that will help you put your baby to sleep in a very peaceful way. As long as you stick with it! :)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I also appreciated that she said that you had to do what was best for you, and if that meant nursing your baby to sleep, holding her, or whatever, then you needed to do that. She wasn't all, "Absolutely do not let your child fall asleep in your arms," or anything like that.
We've been working for months and months to get Ryan to sleep more than an hour or two at a time. Tim's been getting him to sleep, which works faster than me trying to get him to sleep, but then he would still wake up in an hour or two... then want to nurse all night. It didn't matter if I was sleeping next to him or not. Didn't help that he's 2 now, but still primarily interested only in nursing, and won't eat much solid food.
I've finally, finally found the solution, though, it seems!!!! Cream cheese on crackers right before bed, ha ha! He devoured them, then I brushed his teeth, and he fell asleep on my lap, I laid him down - and that was it! He slept FIVE HOURS straight last night before waking up, and then only nursed a couple more times after that! I was SO HAPPY!!!!!! :) I KNEW he was hungry, but the kid won't even eat ice cream, let alone much else.
LOL - just had to share the little joyous mom moment. ;)

Megan said...

Maggie, this book sounds great! What are a few of the tips she gives for a "no cry sleep solution"? Just curious, I might see if our library has it...

Maggie said...

Megan, in a nutshell, she has a system for slowly, gently teaching your baby to eventually fall asleep without the aid of nursing/pacifier. I would definitely recommend reading it... :)

Nat, that is so good! Cream cheese and crackers sounds amazing too lol.