Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Left to Tell

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust
If you're looking for a powerful book, I strongly recommend Left to Tell. It is so well written and beautiful, that there is no way anyone could finish reading this and not be moved in some way.

I'll admit, though I'm ashamed to say, I didn't know much about the Rwandan genocide until I opened this book. It surprised me so much that the story wasn't about two countries. Not even two separate races. But rather, two tribes within one country. Their own government was encouraging the holocaust and telling the one tribe not to spare any of the other - even the woman and children.

I had to brace myself during some descriptive parts. The killers were brutal, and the stories of the babies' deaths were especially painful. But what was even more difficult to swallow was the fact that no outside country stepped in to help until the very end. And then it was the French - not the U.S.. I was so frustrated that merely 16 years ago, hundreds of thousands of people were slaughtered, and we did nothing to save them. Some people say we're not supposed to use our resources to police the world. But others say it's because there's nothing over there that would benefit us. No oil or anything. (Which is why we also didn't help out with Darfur.)

But what about just protecting life? We have no problem organizing mission trips to all areas of the globe. People say our love and charity shouldn't be confined to our own borders. I agree, and I think that belief should be spread, especially when thousands of others are being senselessly murdered.

After reading the book, I held my baby for a long, long time (even though she's quite wiggly nowadays). I shuddered at the images in my mind. I hoped and prayed that if, God forbid, something like that ever happened in our country, that the rest of the world would not ignore us.

(Sorry for such a downer post, but we need to put things in perspective every once in a while.)

No comments: