Thursday, July 01, 2010

Hypnobirthing

There are so many decisions to make once you become a parent! And they start right away...one of them is picking a "method" for childbirth. Practically everyone I knew recommended the Lamaze method for childbirth. I looked into it but liked the Bradley method better. Still, I didn't know what to go with. I was actually standing in Borders with two books in my hand, trying to decide which method to read about first, when my midwife called. Later in the conversation she told me about hypnobirthing. I took one look at the book and decided to go for it.

What I liked about this book was how much sense it made! It explained the science behind everything: the fight or flight response during labor, the contractions- I mean, surges, and how oxygen is the most important thing the body needs to deal with the pain. It went deeply into three different kinds of breathing, visualizations, and other peaceful relaxation techniques.

Another reason I liked the book is because it made birth sound very easy.

Oh yes, naive little me...thinking I could whiz through the process with a short, easy labor.

But in a way, I'm thankful for that mindset. I never once stressed about the thought of having a baby. I kept thinking, I can totally do this. I can handle the pain. 

And in the end, I did! I won't go into the birth story here, but honestly, it was a great experience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go into the birth story! ~ Heather

Justine said...

I used Hypnobirthing with my 5th baby...a healthy 11 pound baby boy who was born safely and gently at home over an intact perineum! It was not as pain-free as taking a nap, but it was lovely and very manageable. I am very grateful for the state of mind that my hypnobabies training allowed me to reach during a very long labor and what might have been a traumatic birth under *different* (read: not at home with trusted midwives) circumstances!